Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Clipping dogs

One of the few downsides to owning a Springer Spaniel is the coat. Unlike many hunting dogs the Springers coat actually grows. Now this coat provides for lots of protection and warmth it also attracts any kind of plant matter you can imagine. This was the case two weekends ago when I got back from a trip to my uncles farm. Both dogs were covered in STUFF!! It was everywhere and very difficult to get out. My fiance and I spent the better part of two hours brushing out the dogs. This is when I decided the dogs needed a haircut.

Trips to the groomers happens twice a year for us and each dog costs about $75 to wash and clip. If you do the math it adds up to $300 for the year. I know that I spend much more on food and gas for hunting trips for the year but this just seems like too much money for haircuts that just like human haircuts never come out just the way you want them.

With all this in mind I decided to purchase my own dog clipper and do it myself. I had purchased a clipper a few years ago with the same intentions but I went the cheap way out and I just couldn't get the job done. This time around I put my cheapo ways behind me and put the money up for a professional clipper which set me back $100. I figured it would pay for itself after clipping only one dog.

The adventure this weekend started out in the garage but it was just too hot in there so I changed the venue to my basement and the utility room. I was shocked how well the clippers worked! The dogs also put up with my antics for the most part as well. Mack didn't particularly care for having his back end shaved but I overcame that obstacle by having Kristi trim him while I held him.

After all was said and done the dogs where clipped albeit a little uneven but they still look good and even more important plant free for hunting season. So instead of spending hours after a hunting trip picking burrs out of there coat I will be enjoying some time horizontal in my recliner with a beer. So in honor of the Master Card commercials

Dog grooming= $300
Dog clipper= $100
Beer and a recliner= PRICELESS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment